Thursday, November 26, 2015

My First Thanksgiving as Mayor and the Day the Turkey Chickened Out


Turkey Blog



I started my Thanksgiving at a donation-only yoga class (thank you Megan Sappington) at Wilson’s Yoga Studio, a Thanksgiving tradition with my sister. Usually she’s visiting from Minneapolis but this year we celebrated her first Thanksgiving as a Missouri resident again along with her husband and my sweet nephew!  Welcome home sis! 


We set an intention at the beginning of yoga class, mine was to be thankful. Today I’m thankful for such a giving community, thanks to all of you who support our local charities and those who volunteer to make a difference in the lives of others, you make Jefferson City better!










I was challenged to kiss a turkey to help the Samaritan Center raise 1,000 turkeys or $1,000. It all started when Bill Farr asked his Facebook friends if everyone would donate a turkey to Samaritan Center so I replied with “Let me be the first!” and the rest is history! We exceeded our goal and total donations reached $23,000!  Thanks to all who gave or who still want to give to Samaritan Center, 1310 East McCarty, Jefferson City, MO 65101, or contact Ms. DeFeo at (573) 634-7776. Thanks for your generosity!


I had my pucker ready but it looks like the turkey “chickened out!” so I got to kiss a tiger and a cow instead!! THANKS to Stripes, the Lincoln University Blue Tiger and to the Chick-Fil-A Cow!!! 

Today I am thankful for all of the families who got to enjoy a Thanksgiving meal thanks to our generous community!  


Sincerely,


A Very Thankful Mayor!


 WOW the community raised $23,000 for Samaritan Center!

Members of the Samaritan Center Board joined in the fun!
 Got to kiss "Stripes" the Lincoln U Blue Tiger!
Got to kiss the Chick-Fil-A Cow!
Marilyn and the Mayor kissed the turkey!


My First Thanksgiving

  

Tergin Apartments, 1972 with mom, Popou and Yiayia